Saturday, October 24, 2009

Karen surprises us with her creativity

Karen has surely put her skills into this lovely apron!

Autumn Apron with Ruffles

Being a member of a quilt guild here in Germany, I wanted to combine quilting with this apron project. Both the ruffles and the pockets helped me choose this pattern.




Then, at a recent quilting retreat, I was given a lovely piece of brown linen from their excess fabric. There was a leaf fabric in my stash that matched perfectly, and I got even luckier when I realized that the golden hexagon flower I was making would go nicely. So I made a second one, and it all fit together nicely. Making a second flower was easy, and it was fun to quilt them to the pocket pieces.






Fitting the pattern required some adjustments, since my hips are 3 sizes larger than my bust. The change was easy, though, by just extending the back edges enough to cover what needs to be covered.




This was my 3rd Lutterloh pattern, and for the first time I didn't make any drawing mistakes. I drew my patten on some clear plastic drop cloth that I bought at the hardware store. I use those permanent markers that work on CDs.




This pattern was only the apron body, so I had to design the pockets, 2 ruffles and the straps. For the top ruffle I cut 2x the length, and the bottom ruffle 1.5x. After breaking normal thread while trying to ruffle the fabric, I ended up doing it with quilting thread.




About this time, I really missed having instructions, like when I buy a commercial pattern, so I wrote out the instructions myself. I even wrote down when I should iron the various pieces.




There wasn't enough leaf fabric to make the complete straps, so I used leaf over my shoulders, then switched to linen for the ties. I made the ties extra long so I could tie them in front in a nice bow.




Almost done, just the bottom ruffle and straps. Then I sewed the bottom ruffle onto the wrong side of the fabric. Tedious stitch ripping followed, but the straps went together easily. I added small strips on the inside of the back to hold the straps in place when wearing the apron.




Finally fitting and placing the pockets was the last step. I may still go back an add some darts in the bodice, but for now, it's DONE!!! And I love it!




What did I learn?

Lutterloh gets easier the more you do it.
It's much easier to adjust a Lutterloh pattern than it is to adjust a commercial pattern.
I was much better than I thought I would be at creating those extra pieces. It was actually fun.
Linen is a dream to work with.
I adore the patchwork flowers, and am now working on a full quilt (Grandmother's Garden).
Developing these adjustment skills means I want to keep modifying this apron. Now I want to add more patchwork, darts, change the straps, ...


2 comments:

  1. Oh what a cute apron- those hexagons are sweet.
    So...I'm done with mine, #247. I deliberated about the bust darts...as when the apron is tied in the back the sides are not so bad and the extra room does mean I can put it over bulky jumpers during winter. I may add them later if I feel I want to but want to try it abit first without them.
    It doesn't flare out nearly so much as it did before adding the back ties-they seem to have pulled in the fullness nicely. But if I had a larger cup size I think I'd definately need darts.
    The ties were tricky, I got one complete tie out of scraps and pieced two bits of left overs from the scraps remaining for the second tie. They are also narrower finishing to just over an inch thick.
    I am happier with the positioning of the front darts than before too.
    I decided not to embellish the apron at all, the fabric has alot going on as it is with pinecones and pine needles- very Christmassy.
    The side and bottom hemlines I turned under twice and stitched in the traditional fashion. I like the slight curve to the front of the apron-abit tricky to pin and press seam in place, but worked out in the end.
    So, this has been fun...I have learned lots and enjoyed working vintage style. Thanks Ann and Fonnell-this is by far the most stylish apron I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned lots and enjoyed working vintage style. Thanks Ann and Fonnell-this is by far the most stylish apron I have.

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete